Posts Tagged ‘stripes’

h1

SWAP in Review #6: The Dress

May 27, 2010

My choice entry was a jumper style dress that I really loved making and the results of which I’m quite proud. The pattern I used was Kwik Sew 3576 which was a bit of a trick for me to track down as I discovered to my dismay that my local fabric retailer does not carry Kwik Sew patterns. I really liked the dress when I saw it because of the belt on the hips. I thought it went along with the theme of my SWAP fairly well since I intended to pair it with my lace top as shown in the picture

I bought the fabric right near the end of my SWAP process when I noticed that the stripe pattern reminded me of a calico apron I wore when I worked in an historic village one summer. I am naturally drawn to things historical and Victorian so I leapt on  the fabric. It’s a stretch woven so I needed to do some extra fitting to ensure it was flattering. 

I cut the pockets diagonal to the grain because I thought it would add a bit more whimsy to the look. I also chose to do the belt in black instead of the dress fabric  because I felt like I needed something to break up the stripes.

It was the last outfit I completed for the SWAP and it’s the one I’m the happiest with.

h1

SWAP in Review #4: Striped Wrap Blouse

May 19, 2010

With the recognition that Butterick 6768 is so OOP it’s been taken off the site, comes the realization that, I should really invest in some new patterns. I always thought I was a pattern junkie but now I’m starting to realize that I, perhaps, don’t buy enough of them. Still, I had a soft spot for wrap blouses so I knew I needed to give the pattern one more shot. This will probably be it for this one though as I find that it adds bulk to my midsection, which is a part of me that does not need any such additions.

After attempting to match the subtle pin tuck stripes on the black blouse and realizing just how difficult that was going to be, I thought that the even size and regular spacing of the stripes on this fabric would be a breeze.

As you can see, my “simple stripe” was far more complicated than I thought. This image is proof that I have plenty of bad sewing habits, not the least of which is that I will often develop my own layout for my pattern pieces in hopes of using as little fabric as possible (pattern Tetris).  This can be okay when dealing with woven solids and can even be vaguely advisable when they’re being made into low (or no) budget costumes for a play that will run for a week at most. However, I clearly have some work to do if I’m going to successfully give up my bad habits once and for all.

I did get it right eventually though.

It is worth noting that this SWAP was really my first shot at truly matching stripes. I’ve done it on pants before but always in a fairly serendipitious fashion and I’ve gotten lucky.

I’ve actually made more pairs of pants for  myself over the years than I have shirts. I find I get more mileage out of a pair of pants as they tend to wind up wardrobe staples.

I’m far more likely to buy a cute top I see somewhere than a cute pair of pants and the instant gratification factor is much higher with pants as I can generally sew them much faster and with fewer pattern alterations – and I’m much happier with they way they fit.

The blouse will do though.