Posts Tagged ‘Hallowe’en 2010’

h1

Steampunk Couple, Year One

November 2, 2010

So, my life has been busy enough lately that there was a major last minute crunch to get our Hallowe’en costumes done. As a result, we both think we can improve on them for future years.

That being said, I loved wearing mine.

I added trim and a flounce to the bustle skirt, made an under blouse using a peasant blouse pattern I’ve had for years, and I wore a bustier that I bought a few years back because I did not have time to make one.

Here’s my husband’s costume:

The vest is the only part of the costume I actually sewed myself. I made it from Butterick 3721. I would have loved to have made the whole thing from scratch but there just wasn’t time. The shirt and pants were purchased from a second hand clothing store.

The parts of the costume we would like to improve on are all of the add on pieces. Generally, these are metal bits so they’re hard to blend with fabric and involve soldering rather than sewing. This places them firmly outside of my skill area.

We faked them this year but we’d like to make them more authentic and better held together for next year.

Still, we had fun.

Advertisements
h1

Sneak peak at Hallowe’en

October 16, 2010

So, last year I sewed Disney princess Hallowe’en costumes for my sister and her friends. They were going to give me photos so I could blog about the costumes but that never happened. This year, I just need to do costumes for my husband and me. We spent some time figuring out how we wanted to dress up (we’re going to a charity dance) and finally decided to go Steampunk.

I discovered the Steampunk aesthetic relatively recently and I’ve been fascinated by it ever since. My long love for all things Victorian transfers quite easily to an excitement over creating a Steampunk costume.

Naturally, the first thing I decided I needed was a bustle. I’ve never made a bustle skirt before and I wanted to keep it relatively simple as it is just a Hallowe’en costume. I made a basic A-line skirt out of some deep red taffeta- like fabric that was massively on sale. I used an old skirt pattern to make sure I proportioned it correctly.

I proceeded to attempt to drape the rest. I’ve never had a whole lot of success with draping and this was made more complicated by the fact that my sewing mannequin has no “legs” so I pinned the skirt to the mannequin well above the waistline and worked with it that way. I planned to do an elastic waistband anyway.

The bustle itself is about two metres of fabric gathered and tacked on to the back of the skirt. I then basted lengthwise down the fabric in five separate places and gathered the stitching to create the gathered look in the back typical of bustles.

Finally, I created the padded bustle by stitching organza together into a fan shaped bulk. I sewed it to the inside of the gathered fabric at the waistline and then pulled some of the fabric up under the bulk and stitched it in place, creating the bustle bulge.

Here’s the resulting skirt.

Looking at the picture, I think the skirt could probably benefit from a petticoat, but there is more to do costume wise yet for both myself and my husband so I may not get to it.

Oh and Burt, our second kitty, made it into this picture. He is clearly chasing stray threads.

More Hallowe’en to come.