Posts Tagged ‘bad results’

h1

Salvaging a shirt from the wreckage

August 6, 2010

As I indicated in my Wardrobe crisis post, I have been attempting to sew a shirt using my serger (eek) and McCalls 5662. I think it has finally turned out reasonably, although I am personally not quite satisfied with the workmanship.

When I first saw the pattern, I only paid attention to the front of it. I fell in love with the grecian feel to the front and sleeves and I loved the empire waist detail. There is a lesson in this: always look at the technical drawings.

I made C because it was sleeveless and I liked the twisty detail at the waist. I made the assumption, however, that the back of C was more like E. As a result, I was surprised to discover that the back is lower and much more open than I wanted (I need to wear a bra) and the waist detail didn’t go all the way around.

I “fixed” this by leaving the back pieces ungathering and crossing them so that they form a V similar to the one in the front. I also removed the front waist detail and attached two long ties that I can wrap around my waist several times. It gives me much more of the effect I want.

I’m still not sure if I like the top. I think the stretch cotton I picked is more stretch than cotton and I find it clings to places I prefer it not cling. I also found the neckline came out much lower than I’m entirely comfortable with. I cannot wear this to work because I may have to lean over.

I’m going to try the pattern again. I bought a jersey that I think has a bit more structure to it and I plan to make View E since the things I  like most about the pattern are in that version.

h1

Wardrobe crisis

July 12, 2010

Yes, we’re still in the middle of a heatwave and I still have very little to wear to work.

I spent my evening trying to work on a polka dot jersey shirt using McCalls 5662 which I bought back during my no sew week. The results were less than I was hoping for.

My serger fought me every step of the way. I had to re-thread six times and I broke a needle.

I tried to make view C but was disappointed to discover that the waist tie was not a tie after all but just a decorative bit in the front of the shirt. I dislike the way it pulls the back part of the waistline forward so I think I will take it out and basically be left with view D. This may make it wearable.

If I try the shirt again I will want to use a heavier jersey because this one is structureless, and I will skip the waist twist in the pattern and make my own waist ties.

Tomorrow night will be pants.

Hopefully they’ll go better.