h1

Badgley Mischka Part 3: cutting steel

August 22, 2011

So, because adding the foundation to the dress was one of the final steps, I put off dealing with the steel boning till near the end. I went out and bought clippers to cut the steel spiral chain to size but discovered that it’s harder to cut steel than I thought. My clippers just mangled the boning without actually cutting.

With a bit of help from the search engine so ubiquitous it is a verb, I found a techique that involved bending the piece back and forth until it  became weak enough that it came apart.

The only problem with this technique is that it leaves the ends messy and prone to poke into my body. I could have counteracted this by buying metal caps for the ends of my lengths of boning but i forgot to order them so I created little taffeta caps for the ends that allowed them to be threaded into their channels relatively easy.

I skipped the lining layer the pattern called for as the top fabric is sheer so I stitched the taffeta as though it were the same layer as the sheer fabric and decided that could serve as the lining.

Here is the completed dress:

And here it is in action:

So we’re not the greatest dancers…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: