h1

The Gifts are Done

December 24, 2010

Whew! I got our Christmas gifts done within hours of having to catch a flight out of town (and out of province) for Christmas. I definitely bit off more than I could comfortably chew this year. With this new job, I either need to give up on  trying to sew so much or sew a whole lot more so I get faster at it.

Everything took longer than I’d hoped it would.

1. Pajama pants: Back in September, my husband’s young cousins told me that they really wanted pajama pants for Christmas.

“Easy,” I said to myself.

“Hah, you optimistic fool,” the sewing gods declared.

It took me ages to find fabric that I liked. I learned that my local fabric chain does not appear to stock plain flannelette and I disliked most of the printed stuff I saw. Once I settled on the fabric, the sewing was fairly straightforward (my decision to do French seams aside) and the pants didn’t take too long. Now I just hope they fit.

2. The out of province teenage cousins need presents too. Last year, Cidell’s post about the Infinity scarf inspired me to make a couple of my own. So I made those for the sixteen year old cousins.

At least I don’t have to worry about whether they fit or not. They were okay to sew except that my serger and I are still arguing over the blade function when sewing ultra stretchy stuff. I was also tired while sewing these and managed to mash my left index figure under the needle arm as it came down. I wasn’t close enouogh to get a needle through my finger, but it did break the skin and my left hand hasn’t been as useful as it could have been lately.

3. Finally, I decided to make ragdolls for my young nieces (2 years old and 8 months old). This was supposed to be a quick project and i wanted to make multiple outfits for them. Sadly, it took much longer than I had hoped. I used an old pattern of my mum’s. She made Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls for me when I was two.

Here they are at the face embroidery phase – my husband saide they looked a little creepy.

Once I got them stitched together (french seams again for extra durability), I found this great tutorial for putting yarn hair on their little cotton heads. The main challenge around following this tutorial is that the Burt cat wouldn’t leave me alone because I was playing with yarn.

In the end, the dollies came out looking like this, less than 24 hours ago!

Hopefully they’ll go over well.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it and I hope you enjoy a relaxing holiday either way!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: