Archive for August, 2010

h1

Serging Ahead

August 31, 2010

I took a serger workshop on the weekend so I’d be all set to sew the bridesmaids dresses my friend has asked me to make for her wedding.

I agreed to do it before she dropped off the fabric and I realized it was all VERY stretchy.

It was a terrific workshop. I learned about my differential feed, adjusting the tension and how to do a rolled hem.
…And then I learned that the technique I really wanted to learn actually requires a coverstitch machine rather than a plain old serger.

Not sure if one of those is in the budget so I may have to fake it.

In other news, the trench is on hold for now as I have an emergency project I need to finish for Friday.

Wish me luck!

h1

Update on my trench coat

August 22, 2010

I’ve written about my trench coat project over at the Trench Sew Along blog. You can read it here: http://trenchsewalong.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/late-out-of-the-gate/

My cat has been diagnosed with Feline Infectious Peritonitis so it’s really just a matter of time and we’re enjoying her while we can. She still has a decent quality of life though and she likes to hang out with me while I sew. So I keep sewing, and she keeps helping

More projects to share soon!

h1

Another slowdown

August 9, 2010

My sewing and blogging will likely slow a bit as my kitty cat is sick and I intend to spend more time snuggling with her.

h1

Salvaging a shirt from the wreckage

August 6, 2010

As I indicated in my Wardrobe crisis post, I have been attempting to sew a shirt using my serger (eek) and McCalls 5662. I think it has finally turned out reasonably, although I am personally not quite satisfied with the workmanship.

When I first saw the pattern, I only paid attention to the front of it. I fell in love with the grecian feel to the front and sleeves and I loved the empire waist detail. There is a lesson in this: always look at the technical drawings.

I made C because it was sleeveless and I liked the twisty detail at the waist. I made the assumption, however, that the back of C was more like E. As a result, I was surprised to discover that the back is lower and much more open than I wanted (I need to wear a bra) and the waist detail didn’t go all the way around.

I “fixed” this by leaving the back pieces ungathering and crossing them so that they form a V similar to the one in the front. I also removed the front waist detail and attached two long ties that I can wrap around my waist several times. It gives me much more of the effect I want.

I’m still not sure if I like the top. I think the stretch cotton I picked is more stretch than cotton and I find it clings to places I prefer it not cling. I also found the neckline came out much lower than I’m entirely comfortable with. I cannot wear this to work because I may have to lean over.

I’m going to try the pattern again. I bought a jersey that I think has a bit more structure to it and I plan to make View E since the things I  like most about the pattern are in that version.

h1

Pants become shorts

August 2, 2010

I don’t tend to wear shorts. My thighs are just not a part of my body I like to share with others on a regular basis. But I’ve been enjoying the trend of knee length dressy shorts so I decided to jump in.

I bought Burda 7618 at a pattern sale.Now, as you can see, these are pants. I really liked the ankle detail though so I took a shot at making them into shorts.

This means, of course that I really had to shorten the pattern. Even though I used the “shorten here” spot, I think that shortening it so drastically had a strong effect on the overall structure of the pattern. I had fit problems so it took awhile to get an acceptable fit from the shorts. I did manage to get it all on a one metre piece of fabric though!

Eventually I managed to make it fit but I’m still not sure if I like the way it feels.